Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day...

Ahhh...The day when we all celebrate Veterans by eating too many pounds of Hot Dogs and Hamburgers...And even more pounds of Potato Salad. What we really should do is go out and help fix a Veterans Home. Or work on his/her car for free. Use some talent we have to make sure that our Veterans are taken care of. Because we do a crappy job of it as it is. On the 24th the boys and I were driving out in Brooklyn and saw several Veterans holding signs saying Honk if you support your troops! Oh I honked all the way past them! Because I have my own troops I support...Not just my loving husband but several of our wonderful friends as well. Well, our opportunity to take care of our Veterans arose later than evening. We were at a local restaraunt having dinner when in walked one of the gentleman who stood out there in the sun all day. Just doing his part rallying for our Troops everywhere. God Bless Him. I asked my waitress if she knew his history and she shared with me he had been injured in Vietnam and was one of 3 soldiers from his unit to make it home alive. There had been 47 of them. My mind was set right at that Moment. I asked her very quietly to please ring out my check, and put his bill on with mine as well. Without him knowing it.

I borrowed one of her tickets and wrote a small, simple letter to this Veteran. This is what it said:

Sir,

Today we are paying for your meal as it is the least we could do for you. Thank you so much for the sacrifices you have made for your country. We appreciate it dearly.

In Loving Honor,
SGT Lawrence Kelley
*Serving in Iraq from 2007-2009

I dont know this mans name, I dont know where he lives or anything about him with the exception that he is a proud Veteran who cares dearly for the rest of our troops enough that he would sit in the scorching sun all day long for honks.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arica, that is so awesome. It is so good to see people still reaching out there to not only Veterans but humans in general. Far to many times these days people are just so rude and mean to each other.I hope that you got the chance to explain to Chase what you did and why? What a great lesson for him.
Good for you.
Jess