Friday, May 22, 2009

Time for reflection..

Today I started out with about a dozen calls to Kansas. Now I should know better as it is a holiday weekend but I did manage to track down the number to a lady that I will need on Tuesday. We are going to work it so that we can be Relative Foster Parents for my Nephew. This will work out in such a way that the State of Kansas will be involved with Sammy's care and we will have them available for things that will arise.

And this boy is going to need some serious help right off the bat. First thing I will have to do is get him into counseling. For whatever crazy reason his mother has told him growing up that his older siblings were adopted. Adopted by who? I don't understand the reasoning for lying to him that way with the exception that she was trying to hide the fact that they were taken away from her by the various States she lived in. I worry about having to be the one who breaks in the truth to him. I really do. But then in the same breath I feel fine with it because I know I am strong enough to help Sammy make it through all this.

The other thing that makes me comfortable with all this is that I know I will have a strong family support for this. My husband and I have spoken at length regarding Sammy joining our family. He has shared with me his nervousness and excitement. So there will be more to come with all of this. I'll add more in a little bit..I need to answer the phone...

OK, I'm back for a moment. The very next thing I am planning to do is have his medication re-evaluated. This child is 14 years old, weighs a total of 108 pounds and is taking 54 Mgs of Concerta. That is well over the dosage for an adult weighing in at 240 pounds. Goodness. And they wonder why he acts out a bit. Then, he has a secondary medication to assist him to sleep at night. Clonidine. And again it is an adult dosage for a whither of a boy. I'd like to get ahold of his Dr. and have a talk with him. I also need to try and get copies of his medical records. That's going to be fun. I have heard that he has Cerebral Palsy but I have seen no documentation so this will be quite interesting. OK, more to write later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well if the state will let us take Sammy we will get him seen and get the medication reduce.