Monday, November 3, 2008

Mom..are you voting?

Yes, honey. I registered to vote. Well, that's good Mom, but don't vote for the brown guy.
I was a little caught off guard when my 7 year old said that as I picked him up from school today.

Why? I had to find out the reasoning's behind this commentary. Well Mom, he doesn't put his hand on his heart when it is time to say the Pledge of Allegiance or The Star Spangled Banner plays. So he's not a real American Mom.

Tears welled up in my eyes, but I turned away so he wouldn't see them. You see, when we were stationed in Germany whenever the sun rose in the morning they would play Revelry..and when it sunk low in the evening they would play Retreat and To the Colors. And everything outside would stop for that moment as though frozen in time. Cars would pull over and people would get out. Conversations would stop. And we would all face the flag. Children and adults alike would stop everything and admire our Great American Flag. And we would be proud. And salute.

Even in the movies we would all stand and put our hand over our heart in pride to The Star Spangled Banner. When Chase and I came stateside and went to a normal theatre we both felt stupid when we stood right before the movie started. We were so used to paying homage that even now over a year later we still try to stand.

And every morning Chase and I still say The Pledge of Allegiance to our little flag in the house. Because that tradition should never die in a true American.

Now, on another note. Squeaky has gotten over his rashes. Come to find out he had a mild reaction to the flu shot he had received last Monday. I had my Dr take a peek at him while we were getting my flu shot on Saturday. So he has been getting some small dosages of Benadryl to relieve the hives and itchies. And did I mention this boy just loves his bath times? I finally was able to get him to sit on his buttocks in the bath tub. I kid you not, he splashed for 20 minutes straight until the water started to turn cold. And then he was angry as heck because I had to take him out. I put some pictures down below for your entertainment.

Right now it's time to head off to Karate..One more quick note..Karate ended early today because the laundromat 2 doors down caught on fire. All got out OK, and just a few patrons of the laundromat had smoke inhalation issues. Per usual, Chase is absolutely wired now..Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have one smart kid there Arica. Great job momma~ Terri