Thursday, January 29, 2009

Interesting.


OK. I posted the above picture so everyone knows what I am speaking about. Yesterday I wrote a very powerful blog regarding my own cause. In the process of writing this blog someone posted a comment that I erased. And it was for several reasons. Apparently this picture that has been on my MySpace now for over 2 years has offended them. And if it has, I am sorry. But it is my page and I have this on there simply for the humor reasons. And to be frank with you, there are a lot worse things posted on my page than this. Which is the reasoning behind my not having a lot of my friends children added on as well.

Now let us get to the point of the word Retard. Yes, it is slang. Yes, it tends to be used predominantly in a nature to be offensive towards Developmentally Disabled people. HOWEVER, in the New American Webster College Dictionary it is stated just like this:

re-tard' (ri-tard) v.1 1, make slow or slower: obstruct. 2, defer: postpone.

And it goes on and lists retardant, retardation and retarded after it. And shall we move on a little?

re-tard'ate (re-tar-dat) n. a mentally retarded person.

Now no where in my little picture is it speaking of a Developmentally Disabled person. It is meant to poke fun at people just like me. Who, on some days really should just stay home. I have my retarded (slow) moments where I don't think before I speak. And frankly, there are a lot more of those people out there than there are Developmentally Disabled people.

And to finish this up, I will say this very clearly. The Developmentally Disabled people in this world are not at all the retarded ones. It is the *normal* people around them that think they are trying to protect the world by stopping this *slang* and banning certain words from society.

Words have more than one meaning. It is just how you utilize them that can be hurtful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, HOW CAN A "NORMAL" PERSON NOT SEE THAT THE PICTURE IS HUMORUS, NOT MENT TO HURT ANYONE. 1 OF MY CLIENTS, WHO IS MENTALLY HANDICAPPED, HAS THIS PICTURE ON HIS WALL AND LOVES IT. CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME! LIFE GOES ON. KEEP ON SAYING IT LIKE IT IS. LOVE YOU, MOM